Ever heard of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT)? The process involves delivering a high concentration of pure oxygen (100%) to damaged tissues in a pressurized environment to hasten healing. It’s a non-invasive treatment that works by enhancing the body’s natural healing process, activating cellular growth that fights bacteria.
HBOT is a well-established treatment for decompression sickness, serious infections, and wounds that are hard to heal as a result of diabetes or radiation injury. The atmospheric pressure is controlled to allow the lungs to fill in three times the amount of pure oxygen than usual.
How does HBOT heal?
Simply explained, oxygen is a prime element that aids in healing damaged tissues. Red blood cells transport oxygen all through the body. The better the body’s blood circulation, the more oxygen is delivered to different parts (nerves, tissues, organs and body fluids), aiding in the healing process. If blood circulation is weak in the body, enough oxygen may not reach damaged tissues so bacteria win the war.
The 100% pure oxygen inhaled through HBOT floods the lungs, boosts blood circulation, carries oxygen to damaged tissues and enhances cellular growth to fight bacteria with more vigour. As a result, inflamed blood vessels are healed faster in a safe way.
With Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, the 100% pure oxygen dissolves into hard-to-reach areas of the body, seeping into the plasma, lymph, bones and the central nervous system, flushing it with a wealth of benefits. Here’s a step-by-step guide to explain better:
- HBOT dramatically increases the level of oxygen intake in the lungs.
- The extra oxygen flushes damaged tissues, and allows the body to improve its own natural healing process.
- It helps white blood cells fight bacteria, and releases stem cells to help promote healing.
- It reduces swelling and inflammation, increases the production of collagen and allows new blood vessels to grow rapidly so that wounds are healed.
- The intermittent exposure to pure oxygen increases the density of blood capillaries in affected tissues called angiogenesis.
- As the stem cells release from the bone marrow into the circulating blood, the capillary network is strengthened (vasculogenesis), repairing damaged tissues.
- Increased capillary density enhances the absorption of certain antibiotics such as aminoglycosides.
- HBOT flushes out microbes, bacteria and toxins, enhances the production of white blood cells and heals infections that are ordinarily hard to treat with conventional remedies.
- HBOT is anti-inflammatory and treats the autoimmune disorders too.
- The extra oxygen helps in osteoclast function, aiding bone growth.
Ontario HBOT Burn Healing
We provide Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy for burn healing and more, observing the highest level of safety and comfort to our clients. For this reason, we have installed advanced mono place chambers in our center provided by Perry Baromedical, a world leader in the manufacturing, installation and servicing of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy systems since 1956.
The chambers provide a cool, quiet and privatized treatment in individual acrylic chambers. They include custom-made mattresses, pillows and linens, made with organic and non-off gassing products and materials. A two-way communication system allows the patient to be in constant contact with one of our highly qualified hyperbaric chamber technicians at all times. A spacious internal cylinder is an asset for those suffering from claustrophobia. Call us to schedule an appointment to know more.